Are you surrounded by people who want to talk about themselves and few, if any, who are truly good listeners? It’s time to change your behavior.
• Model the behavior you would like to inspire in others
• Be interested in others—listen, make a connection, refrain from interrupting, work at understanding instead of planning your rebuttal
• Save the elevator speech and share something of interest to your audience
• Be yourself instead of having to be “the expert” all the time
• Listen twice as much as you speak (why do you think you have two ears and one mouth?)
If you are a blogger—not just a networker—you’ll want to check out Jeff Goins’ post about “What You Have To Do Before People Will Listen To You.”
What else would you add?
Reclaim your time. Get content writing, editing, publishing, and online posting done for you by Debbie Lynn Butler, the E-Content Butler and founder of AVA Professional Support Services.
Photo credit: Debbie Lynn Butler