Have you ever been to a networking event where someone thrusts their business card at you then hurriedly walks away or monopolizes the conversation, making you want to run away? There is a better way to network: engage others by being engaging.
1. Be interesting and be interested in others.
2. Ask questions that encourage others to share.
3. Listen as much as you talk.
4. Ask “How can I help you?”
5. Be generous with information, referrals, and resources.
6. Be a friend first and a salesperson second.
7. Show continued interest with follow-up e-mails, direct messages, notes, or calls to let the other person know you remember his or her concerns and interests.
These rules apply whether you are networking in person or online. Engage others by being engaging.