Good content marketers give input, insight, instructions, samples of their product or service, tips, tools, and other valuable information. In doing so, they hope to build relationships with prospects and get new customers. Here are mistakes content marketers should avoid when giving a gift.
1. Demanding payment in part or in full before sharing the “free” gift
2. Expecting a future favor or purchase from the recipient
3. Using guilt-inducing tactics
4. Providing false or worthless information
5. Misrepresenting the value of the gift
6. Hiding or cloaking affiliate links and other income-producing links included as part of the “free” gift
7. Regifting, otherwise known as plagiarism or stealing someone else’s content
Avoid these mistakes as a content marketer and be remembered as a good giver.