June is Entrepreneurs “Do It Yourself” Marketing Month according to Chase’s Calendar of Events 2010. Like many DIY projects, do-it-yourself marketing sounds like a good idea but is it? Take this self-assessment before you proceed.
• Have a clearly defined target market?
• Understand the needs, problems, desires, and expectations of your intended audience?
• Have a realistic plan for reaching these people?
• Have a marketing budget?
• Know exactly how much you will save by doing it yourself? This requires knowing what your time is actually worth and how much a professional marketing campaign costs.
• Possess the skills, materials, and time needed to carry out a marketing campaign that will attract the kind of customers you desire?
• Offer benefits and value along with your products or services?
• Seek to provide excellent customer care and build relationships with your current clients to generate referrals?
• Plan to be consistent in reaching out to prospects?
• Feel excited about getting your message out in a variety of ways over the course of the year?
If you can answer YES to these questions, you are in a good position to be a do-it-yourself marketer. If you answered NO, you know what areas need attention before you launch a DIY marketing campaign.