How do you interact with all of your Twitter followers (and acquaintances, business associates, clients, club members, friends, and prospects)? There are probably as many answers to this question as there are networking “experts” so I will stick with my simple, tried-and-true answer: one person at a time.
View each person as a unique individual. Treat them as you would like to be treated. No one wants to be just a number or a face in the crowd. Almost everyone likes to feel as if they are the most important person in the world, at least for the moment when you are interacting.
- Show an interest in their lives and the things they are passionate about
- Listen with the desire to make a positive connection
- Answer questions
- Pass along helpful information
- Say good things about them to others
- Ask how you can help
- Respond to people’s requests
- Express appreciation
- Give thanks when thanks is due
- Have fun
- Be yourself at all times
What are your favorite tips for making connections at networking events and online?